1. You get to make your own schedule. This is by far the most important thing to me. This means that I can hangout with my friends and family whenever I want to. This means that I can workout whenever I want to (twice a day) :-). If you value your time at all this has to be one of the major draws to real estate investing. For me, time is even more important than money. Give me the time!
2. You can make a full time income by doing just a few deals a year. If you want to keep your real estate investing business small time, you really only need to do a few deals a year to make some real money. If you want to make $100,000 a year then you’ll probably need to do 10 wholesales, or 3-4 fix and flips. There are definitely advantages and to each style of investing, and you need to figure out which is best for you.
3. You can sleep in almost every morning. Now there might be some times that you have meetings that have to be in the early AM. Like I usually get up around 8:30am, but I recently was trying get a meeting with a business owner who is really killing it. So, when he asked to meet at 8am I stretched my sleep habits and made the early morning meeting happen.
But if you ever wanted to get back to your normal sleep habits that the 9-5 job doesn’t allow, then getting into real estate investing could help with that. Before getting into real estate investing, and owning my own business, I knew that adhering to my work schedule was really messing with my nature sleep habits, and in turn my health. Sleep is a very important part of staying healthy.
4. You get to decide when and where you go on vacation. And if you want to extend your vacation while you’re on it, go right ahead. Not only that, but you can actually work from vacation if you have your real estate team set up to support you.
Imagine being in Hawaii, Mexico, or your favorite vacation spot, and just checking into your real estate business to make sure things are flowing smooth. This can be done. In fact, the biggest deals that I’ve every done were while I was on vacation.
5. You can run your business however you want. Do you like to be creative? Do you like to be very analytical? Do you like to run teams? Do you like to work by yourself? You decide. Just make sure that you do decide what you want. But don’t worry you can always change things if you decide you don’t like them.
6. You can be rich. I know that this is similar to my #2, but I feel like it’s different. My goals (personally) have nothing to do with getting rich. But you might want to… With real estate investing the sky is really the limit. If you want to be a millionaire you can definitely work to that point of income.
All you have to do is keep doing bigger and bigger deals. Just keep working your way up.
7. You will undoubtedly meet some really cool people. When you don’t have to go to work everyday, and you hang around people who live in that same reality, it’s very likely that you’ll meet some people that live really cool lives. If you’re in Seattle come hangout at our Seattle Investors Club, and I can introduce you to some of these people.
Once you take the restrictions of the 9-5 job away you will find freedoms that you couldn’t have even imagined prior to leaving. And if you have a family… you’ll have the time to actually spend quality time with them.
8. You’ll get to help improve neighborhoods. You can target specific neighborhoods that you’d like to see improved. Then do your marketing to those neighborhoods. If you’re rehabbing then you’ll be able to actually fix up houses that will bring up the value of the whole neighborhood. If you’re wholesaling then you’ll assign your deals to rehabbers that will in-turn fix up the house and improve the value of the neighborhood.
Once you’ve done this for a while you can literally change the vibe of whole neighborhoods. It’s pretty amazing!
9. You’ll have a chance to leave a legacy. This is a big on for me. I want to leave my children with a gateway to success that I didn’t have growing up. When you’re a real estate investor you will have chances to make big money, and with that big money you’ll have the opportunities to invest in longer term investments that will pay you and your family for as long as you maintain them.
How cool would it be to graduate from college, and have the opportunity to join the family business, or have the family business be able to support new business ideas that you might want to pursue? So cool!
10. You can do what you enjoy doing. This might be the best advantage of being a real estate investor. There are so many opportunities that you can almost guarantee that you find some part of real estate investing that you really love.
At first you might have to do some things that you don’t love, but as soon as you have some success you can hire people to do the things that you don’t enjoy as much.
For example, I love the marketing part of real estate investing, but don’t enjoy the phone calls or acquisitions part. So, I hired an acquisitions specialist to handle that part.
Really the only limitation is your imagination.
If you have any questions about how to get started comment below or shoot me an email.